Re: Polarity, Gloves and Baggies, oh my...

To: peloquin@cache.UCR.EDU, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Polarity, Gloves and Baggies, oh my...
From: Kimo Tichgelaar <77MGB@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:30:15 -0700, peloquin@faculty.ucr.edu wrote:

|  Dear netters et al,
|
|  First of all, how do you know what bit you are "brown recluse" spiders?
|  Who did the diagnosis? Did a physician tell you that you were bitten by
|  one after looking at the wound without looking at what actually bit you?

Based on symptoms and on visual ID of spiders on the car.  After I found out
they were there, I have looked before reaching under, and have bombed the
garage several times (they hide well).  I expect a good cleaning will remove
their food supply and habitat, leaving the car safe.

In NE Arkansas, brown recluse are very common, although they are not
aggressive.  The ASU Museum storage rooms  have a healthy population as
well, based on traps that are collected & sent to the biology department for
ID.

|  Were you able to catch one at all?
|  Chances are very high that you are NOT dealing with recluses and are
|  worried about essentially harmless and beneficial spiders.
|
|  We have a "spider guy" in our department who is on our departments "web
|  site". You might want to visit his web site for some pertainent spider
|  info.
|
|  http://spiders.ucr.edu
|
|  I can understand that one would not like working around a bunch of
|  spiders- I don't, either but I am more concerned about the occasional
|  Black Widow here in SoCal than any other spiders.
|
|  Dan DiBiase wrote:
|
|  > Thanks, guys. Now I'm really looking forward to
|  > getting under there. Maybe I'll send my bug-loving
|  > 8-year-old under first...!
|  >
|  > --- Kimo Tichgelaar <77MGB@excite.com> wrote:
|  > > My 77B still has a slight brown recluse problem.
|  > > Got a bit of a bite when I
|  > > first put the jack stands under.  At least they seem
|  > > to have killed off the
|  > > wasps.
|  > >
|  > > |
|  > > |  Watch out for spiders!  When I pulled one of my
|  > > rear brake drums for the
|  > > |  first time, a big house spider slowly crawled
|  > > out.  I guess he didn't
|  > > like
|  > > |  the PB Blaster I sprayed in there to loosen
|  > > everything.  (I was replacing
|  > > the
|  > > |  entire brake system, so I didn't care about
|  > > getting a penetrant on the
|  > > brake
|  > > |  surfaces.)
|  > > |