Re: wheel bearings

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:32:54 -0800
What I should have said was "British car part metallurgy".  I didn't
mean impugn the ability of the British metallurgist, just the
manufacturer's execution in the case of some of our engines and heads in
particular, probably due to some of those shortages you mention, or at
least to variable quality control.  U.S. manufacturers were no better
then in this regard.

I guess I've had too many experiences with cracked heads, pulled studs,
fractured bearing caps, spalled cylinder walls, broken cranks and cams,
and casting defects with LBCs over the years.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1