Re: wheel bearings

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:01:51 -0800
Bill,

There's an element of "apples and oranges" in your statement, I'm afraid.

Indeed, MGAs don't call for shims because they use ball bearings (though, in
my opinion based on 25 years as a professional MG mechanic) you really would
be better off with the spacer between the two roller bearings as, otherwise,
the inner races have less support than the factory designed them to have).

However, this whole discussion began with a question about how to properly
set up an MGB front end. The MGB does not use ball bearings but has roller
bearings riding on seats pressed into the hub. Without using the spacer
between them and shimming for the correct preload, these bearings will not
function as designed.

So, Bill, your dedication to preserving Twinkies and other antiquities has
led you to pontificate about that which you are not fully
cognizant...............

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center