Re: wheel bearings

To: Lawrie@britcars.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:29:12 EST
In a message dated 11/10/00 6:05:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Lawrie@britcars.com writes:

> Indeed, MGAs don't call for shims because they use ball bearings (though, in
> my opinion based on 25 years as a professional MG mechanic) you really would
> be better off with the spacer between the two roller bearings as, otherwise,
> the inner races have less support than the factory designed them to have).
>
> However, this whole discussion began with a question about how to properly
> set up an MGB front end. The MGB does not use ball bearings but has roller
> bearings riding on seats pressed into the hub. Without using the spacer
> between them and shimming for the correct preload, these bearings will not
> function as designed.
>
> So, Bill, your dedication to preserving Twinkies and other antiquities has
> led you to pontificate about that which you are not fully
> cognizant...............

Let's turn that around, Lawrie.
I think it may be you that is not cognisant of all the facts.

I race a Twincam.
Twincams have taper roller bearings, not ball bearings like all other MGAs.
In this they are the same as MGBs, and Triumphs.

So I believe that my comments were appropriate and well considered. It was
not pontification (in any event) and I believe that I (at least) WAS fully
cognisant of the relevant facts.

Bill Spohn