Re: 72 MGB front end questions

To: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 72 MGB front end questions
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:54:20 -0000
Hi, Dan.

I wouldn't say it's common but is not unknown-*anything* can seize on a
classic car.
There shouldn't be any complications in removal c/w the UJ but I would
suggest that you reassemble in the conventional way, with the UJ attached to
the column shaft rather than the rack shaft. Given that your rack has been
running on oil+grit for an unknown length of time, it may well be history
anyway. I'd also check that the UJ itself is OK-if it's been greased
occasionally, it probably will be.

Just done all this on my car-removed the X-member and all.
No major probs, apart from everything being very stiff initially-now it's
all freed up, the car goes where *I* point it, which is a nice change.
BTW, The statistical likelihood of the steering wheel's being straight
afterwards is very low :-)

Good Luck

Dave H.

> Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.psychomotor.co.uk