Re: 72 MGB front end questions

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 72 MGB front end questions
From: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:49:56 -0500
Comments within...

> Dan, if you are using rubber bushings, use soapy water.  When you tighten
the fulcrum bolts the car should be resting on the tires.

> If you are using some type of poly or nylon material (highly recommended)
you can lubricate the bushings, I usually use Lubriplate
> (sp?) white lithium grease.  I don't know if that is the proper grease or
not, it's just what I use.

I am using poly bushings, so I'll try the white grease.

> If you are replacing the steering rack boots (gators) you don't need to
remove the rack.  Just remove the ball joints on the
> steering rods, and slide on the new boots.  You will either need to count
the turns needed to remove the ball joints or mark them in
> some way so you can get them back to the same place.  Or you can have the
car aligned after you do the job.

> I just re-read your post.  Removing the cross member sure is the hard way
to do this job.

I am not just renewing the boots, I am doing a full front end rebuild.  I
removed the cross-member for ease of dissassembly and to paint it.
Since the rack has been in use without oil and open to the elements for an
unknown amount of time, I sort of think it would be a good idea to open it
up and check everything out while I have the car torn apart.
I also plan to have the car aligned after messing with so much stuff related
to steering/suspension.

Thanks for your help,
-Dan
'72 MGB

> Larry Hoy
>

> >I am rebuilding the front suspension and related bits on my 72, and
> >currently have a few questions before I proceed:
> >Do the front a-arm bushings require grease upon reassembly?  All
bushings?
> >I can't seem to remove the steering rack.  When I removed the
cross-member,
> >i just tied it out of the way, but now I think I want to remove it
because I
> >found a ripped rack boot that has been open for who knows how long.
Haynes