RE: Shock help

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: RE: Shock help
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:25:00 -0700
>I suggest that the shocks were designed to weep oil, else why the maintenance
>of topping up? Where would the oil go? (I'd welcome
discussion on that.)

Interesting.  I've never looked at it this way.  Obviously there is a way to
add fluids to the engine, transmission, radiator; and
air in the tires.  This is necessary because we all know they need to be
checked once in awhile, and perhaps "topped off".  Since
the shocks have filler holes (unlike new disposable shocks) the intent must be
to check them, and top them off once in awhile.  If
there was no need to top off the lever shock, the system would be sealed.

You're right Peter the only place for the oil to go is "out".  Lever shocks
cannot consume oil, or burn oil.

We know the leaks must have been built in to our engines and transmissions
<grin>, why not our shocks?

Having said this, I must admit the re-built shocks I have purchased from Moss
haven't leaked.  Sometimes ya just get lucky.

Larry Hoy