Re: MG supercharger

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG supercharger
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:23:10 -0500
Larry-

If you think the supercharger being pricey is an understatement, let me tell
you about $20,000.00 MGB restorations to stock specs. Many exist, probably
some on this list. Or $25-30,000.00 V8 conversions. Lots of people put lots of
money in these cars. Some put lots of hours in & less money, & a few of us
idiots put lots of time & money in our cars. But we enjoy it. (Or we like the
pain...)

In reality, this is some of the cheapest horsepower you can buy. My V-8
conversions cost much more on a per horsepower basis.  If you are only looking
for a modest 5-10 hp, the supercharger is too expensive. If you are looking
for 40-50 hp, you will spend as much, unless you can do all the machining &
assembly your self. If you are looking for 60-70 hp, the engine you probably
would be unwilling to pay for, will be marginal, at best, on the street.

Bare in mind, I am not touting the supercharger, just reporting on what I have
seen, & been told by the owner, whom I know fairly well. I just think it is an
alternative worth considering for those wanting higher than average
performance increases.