Re: MG supercharger

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: MG supercharger
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:55:40 -0500
I will add to my esteemed MG-colleague's sentiments... I too have seen a few
$20,000.00 restorations. They are indeed beautiful, but they would never get my
vote
in a popular vote show or for that matter in a "true" concours show, would that
I be
invited to be a judge, which I am not. Why, you ask? Simple I say, because
there was
never an MG that came from the factory that was as perfectly painted and
prepared as
some of these cars. Don't get me wrong, I do admire the work and the dinero that
went into preparing a $20,000.00 MG, but they are not authentic. I happen to
like
authentic and realistic. Remember these cars were built for the poor man. There
were
no concours MG's because they did not come off the assembly line in a concours
state
like a Jaguar or a Rolls. Concours means every bolt in every car was identical,
and
it was inserted this way, not that way, with the nut towards this side not that
side. Hell, MG's sometimes came from the factory with the wrong grill or
wheels, or
God knows what else. So who is to say what is right or what is wrong on an MG. A
Jaguar? now that is a cat of a different breed.

Like Larry and many others, I only paid $4500 for my MGA 1600 back in 1984. Yes
spent almost $8000 on her over the years in chrome wheels, new top, interior
etc.
She is a hoot to drive and I love her dearly. She is the reason I bought 19
other
MG's over the years. I wanted a car to adorn with gifts and toys, tinker with
until
all hours of the night, and use her for an excuse to buy tools I have never
figured
out a purpose for. Every MG I fell in love with gave me back 100 times the fun
as I
spent on them, but $3100 is a lot even for a 50% increase in ponies. I miss the
days
when I could afford to drop $thousands on a supercharger, but I can't any
longer.
It's a lot more than a lot of us can justify, if it weren't true we would see
superchargers at every car show... but we don't.

Jim