Re: Suspension tuning

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension tuning
From: "Jerry Causey" <jcausey@whidbey.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:34:09 -0800
The answer might depend upon where the point of the v-link is
located, since that will determine the height of your rear roll center.
If it is at the bottom of the differential, you probably won't need a
rear anti-sway bar. Did you build your own V-link, or is someone
finally manufacturing them?

You might want to take a look at a book by Fred Puhn, HOW TO
MAKE YOUR CAR HANDLE, especially the section on negating
rear roll steer. The example is a Ford Pinto, but it applies to the
MGB as well. You would need new rear spring hangers, possibly
de-arching your rear springs (unless they are already arch-less),
and lowering blocks.

If you drive hard enough so that any of this makes a difference, you
will undoubtedly need a limited slip differential, too. If you add a
rear bar, under hard cornering , the 'B will lift the unladen wheel,
and with an open diff, you will no longer be putting power to the
ground. It may even do this without the rear bar if your rear
suspension is stiff enough.

Regards,
Jerry