Re: Steering Wheel sizes.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel sizes.
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:01:54 EDT
In a message dated 5/3/02 11:32:00 AM, eric@erickson.on.net writes:

<< The wooden wheel would probably break in your hands and/or against your
chest.  Parts of the wheel would travel forwards with you while some
sharp parts would be left in situ while you travelled forwards against them..

I had a "wooden wheel," actually, wood riveted on to a metal frame, some 24
years ago when at 30 mph I t-boned a Pontiac that didn't see me coming.  I
stupidly wasn't wearing my seatbelt. At that time I used them on highways,
not for local driving.  Pushed my arm through the steering wheel.
Compression fracture of both bones of my right arm, shattered into many
pieces, that took several operations to finally put right.  However, it was
the lack of a belt that was the problem, not the wheel.  My chest never
impacted the wheel, as I rotated around my arm and collected the top of the
windshield frame of my GT with my forehead, which bled profusely.  Man, I was
a mess, but my poor car, 10 years old and bought new in '68, was a goner.

Jay Donoghue
72 B-GT
66 Mustang