RE: clutch 65B

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch 65B
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:45:09 -0500
> background: noticed that the clutch was beginning to engage
> when the pedal had
> raised a half inch, or less, from the floor...knowledgeable
> friend said brake
> bleeding was needed...we bled the brakes and afterwards the

I presume you meant the clutch hydraulics, and not brakes...  :)

> in other words, is *about* a half inch at the slave all that
> is needed---if so, might
> there be some mechanical failure that would allow the clutch
> to still be engaged
> EVEN if the slave is moving the proper amount???

There are still mechanical issues that could cause the problem.  Obviously,
one such problem could be a worn out throwout bearing.  On the later cars,
you can pull away the boot from the bellhousing and see the condition of the
bearing.  Not certain about the earlier cars.

You also have two wear points that can be a problem.  The push rod that
comes out of the slave cylinder attaches to the fork with a clevis pin.  The
hole in the push rod can wear in an elongated fashion, such that even if the
push rod is moving the correct amount, it may not be moving the fork the
proper amount.  You should be able to check this pretty easily.
The other wear point is the bush in the clutch fork pivot.  Wear here should
cause some slop, but shouldn't have a great impact on the motion of the
bearing.  Of course, the latter is inside the bellhousing....