Re: clutch 65B

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: clutch 65B
From: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:26:30 -0500
> Oh?  I suppose all the paarts vendors will flame me for this.

Why would they do that?  I advocated resurfacing it, not buying a new one..
:-)

> This may be a matter of opinion, but through all my ventures and
adventures
> with an MGA I have never had a flywheel resurfaced, and never had a
problem
> with one.  The design geometry of the pressure plate is such that the
> clutch will fail to grip and begin to slip just about the time the
friction
> disk is work out, but before it encounters metal to metal contact.  As
long
> as you don't drive it for a long time with the slipping clutch condition
> there should be no damage to the flywheel, and probably not to the
pressure
> plate either.

Well, crud can get in there as well and put grooves on it.  My MGB was
certainly grooved, although some of that was due to a broken spring getting
lodged in there.  But a LBC mechanic I know told me to always get the
flywheel resurfaced, no matter how good it looks.  Besides, it's cheap, and
certainly doesn't hurt anything.

> Mostly what screws up the pressure plate is a worn out release bearing
> giving steel on steel contact at the release actuation ring.  Or in the
> case of the diaphram type pressure plate on the MGB, sometimes the release
> ring just falls out of the diaphram.  I have never replaced an MGA
pressure
> plate, but I did have an MGB pressure plate fail once in this manner.

Ahh...good.  Another person who had the ring fall out of the diaphragm.
That's the reason my car is apart right now.  Granted, I'm pretty sure this
pressure plate was a Beck-Arnley rebuilt.....