Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:24:48 -0600
>   On messy oil changes, I seem to remember that the cartridge filter
> adapter has a drain plug on it.  An advantage of the hang-down filter
> is that you can fill it with oil before you install it.  Disadvantage
> is that you must jack up the car to service it.  Tradeoffs.....

FWIW  I have changed a lot of canister filters on all sorts of brit cars,
and I have found that if the washer sealing the bolt to the outside of the
canister is good you can change the thing with as little or less leakage
then a spin on type.  The best trick I can offer is to make sure there is
only one good o-ring in the sealing groove and to spin the canister as you
tighten the bolt, this will help the canister seal.  The only canister type
filter I have found to be truly annoying are the late 60's MGBs that have
the oil cooler takeoff sandwiched between the canister and the block.  This
makes for two seals and is really a two person job.  I wouldn't change just
for the sake of better filtration, but I might consider it for the
availability of filters in a pinch.

james