Re: Oil Pressure questions

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure questions
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:53:04 -0500
Gregg:

<<<snip>>>
Do you happen to remember where you got the float gauge?
Thanks,
Gregg Baker
<<<snip>>>

I designed and installed it myself.  It functions similar to the fuel
level gauge on a TD which is just an "on" or "off"  warning light.  I
wished I'd photographed it when I put it in.

I used the ignition warning lamp as the indicator as the TD also has an
ammeter.  This is an isolated lamp with no ground.  Power to the lamp
comes from the ignition switch to the lamp as normal.  The other wire
for the ignition warning lamp normally goes to the voltage regulator.
At the voltage regulator I disconnected this white wire and continued it
the bolt holding the bracket and the float in the sump.  This becomes a
ground for the modified system.

The TD has several extra bosses and threaded holes on it's aluminum
sump.  My TD has the push rod rather than the cable.  So I bored one of
the front holes clear through.  This hole is above the oil level so
there's less chance of leakage.  The ground from the light goes to the
insulated bolt holding the float wire's U shaped bracket.  The float was
a plastic fuel float.  Where I got it I don't know.  The swinging wire
for the float goes through the bracket.  There's a long end on the wire
for the float and a short one which contacts the sump when the float
drops low enough.  This then completes the ground and the light comes
on.  I adjusted the float's position by using 5.5 quarts of kerosene in
the sump before the sump was bolted onto the engine.  Since I have the 7
quart sump system, I used about 5.5 quarts as the level for the light.

Blake