Re: Oil Pressure questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure questions
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:41:28 -0700
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:03:04PM -0500, Bob D. wrote:
> IMHO, our engines would be much better protected with an oil *level* gauge,
> rather than an oil *pressure* gauge. The risk of the oil running low is much
> greater than the risk of the oil pump failing.

I actually own such a widget. It mounts in the dash, you pull a knob
and a doodicky will extend a distance proportional to the amount of
oil in the crankcase.

Oil pressure guages are useful for more than just warning of
catastrophic failure. Watched over time they are a good indication of
bearing wear, especially if something like predetonation causes you to
prematurely thrash your bearings. They can also indicate engine
temperature, they can warn that oil is getting low if the oil pressure
drops occasionally, but comes back.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.