Re: Cop vs. LBC's

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cop vs. LBC's
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:52:35 -0500
On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 03:53 PM, Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

>   Aw c'mon,
>
>   If you'd been legal, he'd not been able to write a ticket for
> anything.  er, or is there something else your car is supposed to have
> that you haven't bothered with? ;^)
>
>   You sure have a bad attitude towards someone who lays his life on the
> line for you every time he goes to work.

I don't disagree with this last statement, but when the only impression we
get of cops is sitting on the side of the road trying to catch speeders, or
a gaggle of local cops meeting with a posse of State Troopers at the local
Pizza Buffet to (apparently) see who can most exceed the recommended load
limit on their shirt buttons.  I can see where we get ill impressions of
them.

Not all broken laws carry the same repercussions and likewise, not all
broken laws carry the same level of guilt.  If I've guiltlessly got my
cruise-control set on 73 in a 70 MPH zone, I'm breaking the law and I can
be stopped.  I'm an honest, God fearing, tax-paying citizen, and I consider
myself to be law-abiding even including my speeding.  When I see cops
sitting on the side of the road "taking pictures", I often say out loud,
"Why don't they go catch some REAL criminals."  I think that sentiment is
mutual across the country.  Especially if a person gets ticketed for
something as ludicrous as not having a useless front license plate.

Firefighters have an equal opportunity for injury as police, and they don'
t do a whole lot when there isn't a fire, and yet we don't have as many bad
feelings for them as with Cops.  Why?  Because a Fireman isn't sitting all
day in my back yard waiting to ticket me for burning a leaf pile that is
slightly too large.

Kevin