Re: A cool thing about our cars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A cool thing about our cars
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:57:20 -0500
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 06:55 PM, Tab Julius wrote:

>  I've never owned a car that got me anywhere near those
> sort of comments.
>
> Plus the girls all think it's "cute" :)

I have.  As a teenager, I owned a '73 FIAT Spider.  It's color was close to
being damask red with flat black lower sides.  It had a white top and
bright red interior including the seats (and the tiny back seat).  The dash,
  cracked when I got it, was redone in a cabinet shop out of light honey
stained oak.  I liked being able to refab a dash face using woodworking
tools!  It's engine was sporty, the handling was amazingly tight, but the
transmission was junk (but at least it was a five speed).  I got a LOT more
comments on that car than I ever got with my later cars ('71 Superbeetle,
'85 Bertone X1/9, '72 MGB).

The evening my father and I dragged my '68 B home, we stopped at a closed
Wal-Mart that had become the after-hours hang-out for the local teenagers.
   One girl literally ran over to see what it was, and yes, she said it was
"cute".  She also said, "It's so tiny!".  I kept thinking, "You've never
seen a Midget have you?" ;)

Kevin