re: what would you drive?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: what would you drive?
From: "Mark Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:00:57 -0700
Can't have just one car.  I would love to drive all of these regularly:

    1937 Delahaye, body by Figoni & Falaschi
    1936 Auburn 851 supercharged boattail speedster
    1955 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I
    1953 Jaguar XK120M roadster
    1971 Cadillac Eldorado convertible "pimpmobile".  Would require a vanity
plate "6 MPG"

And of course the current car, 1962 MGA 1600 Mk-II.  Assuming level-1
condition for all of them, the cost would be a little steep: say $750K for
the Delahaye, maybe $200K for the Auburn, $100K for the Rolls, another $80K
for the Jag.  The Pimpmobile would be the bargain of the lot.  But even
assuming you'd take "only" $30M of your winnings home if you took a lump-sum
payout and paid half of it in taxes, you'd still have a little bit left over
for a big garage and a full-time mechanic to keep everything in order when
you didn't feel like working on the cars.

Can't really see buying anything modern though.  The exotics look too "hey
look at me" trendy-flashy (like I'd need gold chains and a pinky ring to
drive them), everything else is too generic-looking.

markl

Mark L. Lambert
Principal Architect
TIBCO Software Inc.