Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:32:31 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/02 10:13:19 PM, bobmgtd@insightbb.com writes:

<< I'm trying to replace the steering column Ujoint on my '71 B. I got the
joint assembly loose to where it will slide up and down over the splined
shafts, but it won't slide down far enough to allow removal. The ends of the
two shafts are about 1/4 inch too close together. What's the best way to get
one of the shaft to move that last 1/4 inch?  >>

Cousin Bob,

I dropped the steering wheel shaft and got the extra room that way.  I agree
it is a sloppy way to go about things, though.  I recommend having something
handy to rest the shaft on when you drop it so you disturb the configuration
as little as possible, as has been said.

Cousin Jay Donoghue
73B-GT
66 Mustang