Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:30:19 -0500
 It's 262-035 @ $3.95,  OIL SEAL, pinion, item 9a, but darned if I could
find 9a in the exploded-view diagram.
I expect they found a source for the seal, decided to add it into the
diagram and then someone dropped the ball and it didn't get added in.
Anyhoo, I should think that some heat with a torch and a few clouts (LBC
term) with a BFH in line with the shaft will get that U-joint off.

  I have a theory about leaking Bs.  The '70 I had before leaked until I
rebuilt the engine.  My '69 leaked a tad even after I rebuilt the
engine, until I finally got around to replacing the O-ring seal and
copper washer for the hanging oil filter adapter a couple of days ago.
I was waiting until it was time for an oil change.  Now it doesn't
leak.

  Now on to my theory:  If B owners spent as much time correcting small
mechanical faults (like leaks) as they do otherwise fiddling with and
accessorizing the cars, there'd be lots fewer Bs dripping oil on the
environment.  Don't get me wrong, I've been an offender for months.  I
could have stopped that leak a long time ago.  We just don't attend to
the little stuff like we ought to.

  Cheers,

   CR