Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:11:05 -0600
Well, I know on my 72B this didn't work so I'm anxiously awaiting any
suggestions. I pulled the rack forward, and I even tried pulling the column
forward - it fell apart with the inner column coming out. Needless to say,
I have the whole assembly in the garage with the Ujoint firmly attached on
both ends (rack pinion and inner column pieces). At least I got it out of
the car. Not a big deal because I had a spare steering column and rack from
a 71BGT parts car - except it leaks oil from the pinion bushing area but
otherwise is in good shape.

Still, due to that oil seep, it would be nice if I could rebuild the 72
column or use it, if I could get the Ujoint off. Maybe I'll split it or cut
it off when I get a chance, barring any other suggestions. Right now, I'm
just trying to finish the initial restore on the 72B to get it on the road
for the first time in years.

David
67 BGT
72 B