RE: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation

To: "'Bob D.'" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:14:34 -0800
Bob:

The whole concept of a rear fog lamp is to prevent you from getting run
over.  Likewise it allows you to see the car in front before you run over
it.

I got my lesson driving in fog on the motorway outside London.  Visibility
was down to 30-40 feet.  The cars with rear fog lights on (red lights as
bright as stop lights) were easy to see in time to match speed.  Cars
without  rear fog lights were very hard to see until you got dangerously
close.

Back when I was driving my MGB in the wintry Colorado mountains, I would run
the emergency flashers so folks behind could see there was a car under the
flurry of snow.  Rear fog lights are a much better idea, and when used
correctly make a tremendous safety difference.

Kelvin