Re: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:44:10 -0800
Paul,

It would seem that the only advantage of using relays would be the saving
of heavy duty switches and a few feet of heavy duty wire.  Perhaps then It
would be economically sound to use heavy duty switches and wire instead of
relays and its wiring.  After all we are only talking about saving heavy
duty wire between relays and dash - in my case just a couple feet.  The
arcing would be done in the switch instead of the relay but this is just
the same as arcing in the relay.  The fire risk would be no more than
normal provided the usual electrical wiring standards are used.  (This
would not apply to the heavy draw of the starter where we get into biggish
amps).  The whole subject is confusing as obviously the car manufacturers
would use the most economic (not necessarily the safest) way of wiring up a
vehicle.  This tends to suggest that relays have a great advantage but for
the life of me I cannot see what it is - except for the starter of course.

At 09:25 AM 12/30/2002 +0000, Telewest \(PH\) wrote:
>It certainly has, that is exactly what a relay will do!  You use the
>original circuitry to power the relay, which only takes milli-amps, via the
>auxiliary light switch and connect one side of the relay contact back to a
>heavy gauge brown like at the fusebox or even the solenoid, via a fuse, the
>other side to the lamps, of course.

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson - barrier@bconnex.net