Re: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Is a relay needed in a fog light installation
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:24:48 -0000
The point about relays for auxiliary lights, front and rear, is that they
are usually used with the main lighting and go off with the main lights.
Without relays the existing switches and wiring have to cope with the
additional load of the auxiliary lights as well as the main lights, and
after 30 years they are not really up to it, at best you lose some voltage
along the way and at worst it can melt the switch.  Relays allow full power
to be delivered to the lights without a heavy current having to travel
through thinner wiring and older switches, which is why it is also a good
idea to use relays when updrading the headlights to higher power units.