Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:42:12 +1030
On Thursday, Jan 16, 2003, at 12:02 Australia/Adelaide, NFexec@aol.com
wrote:

> My question has to do with my concern over how UNreliable these neat
> cars
> really are these days.

I think you have been talking to too many tr**mph owners.

Sure I fiddle and spend a LOT on my car, but consider:

* it is 34 years old
* I drive it daily (all year 'round)
* I race it regularly (thrash the bum off it)
* I drive it interstate (9 hours) race it and drive it home (9 hours)
twice a year
* I am always looking at developing that competitive edge

Now, if I just used it for a few days pleasure driving a week, then I
believe all she would need - after originally brining her up to scratch
some years ago - would be a few minor services and possibly one major
service a year.  In fact, leave the major service for every three years
under those conditions).

Service is cheap - even if you only change the oil yourself - and "off
season" I have not spent a cent on my car for three months.  It runs
flawlessly and I have been too busy with my "new" car, even
contemplating a season off racing, so no fiddling or further
development.

Unreliable?  Well, if they do have hassles at least they are cheap and
easy to fix - but the best advice is DON'T LET THEM HAVE HASSLES.
Observe a proper service and maintenance routine and enjoy DRIVING them.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
'85 Rover SD1 Vanden Plas
Adelaide, South Australia