Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:51:38 EST
In a message dated 1/15/03 8:35:56 PM Pacific Standard Time, N3KKE@aol.com
writes:

> That said, MGs are no more or less than any other mechanical contraptions.
> You've probably owned machines before.  Nothing is different now.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually, things are different now.  There are many cars available today that
require NO maintenance for the first 100,000 miles, and engines routinely
last 200,000 miles.  My 1992 Mitsubishi is about to hit 190,000 on the clock
(the '77 Midget has 64,000) and I have only done regular maintenance and
replaced one head gasket.  The Mitsu reads 115 lbs pressure in each cylinder,
within 1 or 2 lbs of each other.

You can't compare the reliability of an MGB to a new Miata, without also
comparing the maintenance schedules.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)