Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can I ever count on having a fairly trouble-free MG???
From: N3KKE@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:29:29 EST
NFexec said

> Am I being delusional to think I can get an MGB that won't require a trip to
> the garage every other week?

You are, perhaps, in that in the first weeks or months of ownership will call
an alarming number of things to your attention.  After all, you are buying a
car that someone else has valued slightly less that what you've valued it
for.  Such is the nature of free exchange.  You are, for better or worse,
buying Someone Else's Problem.  (Hi to those who know where their towel is)

That said, MGs are no more or less than any other mechanical contraptions.
You've probably owned machines before.  Nothing is different now.  There is a
body of knowledge out there, specific to these cars, that you haven't begun
to tap.  You will learn the hard way, unless you're some sort of super-human
and can forsee the things other people know and you will learn, the
intricacies of your new toy.  You will make mistakes that will cost you
money, time, and angst.  You will wonder why you agreed to buy the MG that
you see as the albatross around your neck.

But, after a while, when you've gotten used to it, you will come to have a
'feel' for your automobile.  You won't be freaking out when seemingly 'odd'
things happen, and will have an innate sense of what is Important and what is
not.

You will have a sense of what your auto wants and needs, and the two of you
will motor on together into the future until the time when you decide that
it's no longer worth the effort to keep 'her' up (they almost always wind up
being 'her') and decide to sell it to...

Someone just like you are now.

-Wendell Hall
-'72 B
-'87 Jeep, 292000 miles