RE: Front suspension rebuild options

To: "'Dennis Luther'" <DennisLuther@PrimHall.com>
Subject: RE: Front suspension rebuild options
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:34:51 -0800
Dennis:

Poly bushings DO work by pivoting.  That's why many poly bushing kits come
with lubricant.  I prefer the black Poly bushings as they are a bit softer
and don't need a lubricant to keep from squeeking.

One of the drawbacks with Poly bushes is since they do pivot, they can
squeek.  Torsional rubber bushings such as the stock B ones and the BV8
lowers won't squeek at all if installed correctly.  As the rubber hardens,
it can tear and will then squeek.  That's an indication that the bushing
should be replaced.

An additional point is that the RV8 and stock bushings should never have
lubricant between the rubber and the mounting surface.  To operate correctly
the rubber must seize to the mounting surface.  Dishwashing liquid is ok for
installation.  On the BGTV8 bushings, it's a good idea to grease the pivot
to prevent rusting as the steel tube of the bush is designed to be clamped
by the mounting nuts.  It's a good point to note that the central bush
should be slightly longer than the unthreaded pivot so that it will be
securely clamped by the mounting nut.  I've heard of some bushings that were
too narrow and would not seize correctly.

Kelvin.