Re: Carburetors for MGB

To: Dennis Luther <DennisLuther@PrimHall.com>
Subject: Re: Carburetors for MGB
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:18:47 -0500
Dennis Luther wrote:
> Does anyone know if MGB's were ever supplied stock with a Weber carb?  I
> know... I doubt it, but wanted to know for sure. I'm surprised how many
> "car's for sale" have them.
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis Luther
> '77 B w/ Z-S

No they didn't. The works race cars always ran DCOEs but those were
not sold to the public.

It's a popular changeout (I won't say upgrade, webers aren't well
thought of on this list), as they are/were more understood than the
SU. Especially, when people didn't check the throttle shafts for
wear when rebuilding and couldn't figure out why the rebuild kit
"didn't work".

The DGV is not a performance carb. But apparently can be made to
run quite well with proper tuning and jet swaps. No one, of course,
can say what jets you want to run.

I recall a person on the list, from Mexico or South America that had
his tuned by a weber expert last summer, and the difference was night
and day. The jets aren't appropriate for most weber users however,
because of the altitude he lived.

Still, the DGV is better than a ZS. And can be CARB legal (in
California) for 74 and older cars. A friend of mine in SD has
one, though it's in storage.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155