Re: Carburetors for MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburetors for MGB
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:31:34 -0400
Dennis Luther (DennisLuther@PrimHall.com) wrote:
> Does anyone know if MGB's were ever supplied stock with a Weber carb?  I
> know... I doubt it, but wanted to know for sure. I'm surprised how many
> "car's for sale" have them.

Dennis, MGB's were sold with three different carbs at various points. Early
cars had HS4 model SU's, mid range cars until 1975 I think had HIF4 SU's,
and 75-80 had the single Zenith Stromberg.

That being said, my 74 has a Weber DGV45 carb. The problem, as I understand
it, comes from your average American garage mechanic. Someone would take an
ill MGB in to their mechanic who would look at dual Side Draft carbs and
just know that was the problem. The weber, now that's something your
average muscle car gear head can get their head around. So many cars were
converted to the Weber because they were "better".

In practice, however, A pair of well tuned SU's actually outperform the
Weber substantially. I have, in my basement, a pair of AUD135 model HS4
SU's, just waiting for the spare cash to ship them off to Lawrie for a
rebuild. (Yes, those are wrong for a 74. I'm rebuilding the engine to
de-smogged 1967 specs, at the recommendation of someone here.)

So, Webers are out there because of the mistaken concept that it was an
upgrade to your MGB, increasing fuel economy and reliability, when in
reality the Weber is so inflexible as to fail at both.

Now it's entirely possible that all of the above is false, that's just what
I've gathered here over the last two years.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster