weekend repairs

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: weekend repairs
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:54:57 -0500
Last week, on Wednesday, I think it was. I drove the 'B
into work. On the way home, I had zero power. It wouldn't
rev over 4000, sometimes not over 3500.

Well, at first it would, in first gear. But not the others.
Then I noticed the brake light on. It was also starting to
over heat. I limped it home on the back roads.

I first suspected the ZS, which I want to keep going until
I get around to the rebuild of the HIFs I bought.

Knowing that 90% of carburettor problems is ignition, I also
suspected the dizzy/timing.

Since it would sort of pull from the line in first. I started
to think, maybe the brakes are dragging. After all, the light
won't go out.

I was on-call last week, so I couldn't get into a project lest
my beeper go off.  I did manage to pull the rear wheels and
found that the brakes are fine. Jacked up the front end and the
wheels spin fine. Hmm, not good.

So last night after a weekend of the zoo with the boys, and hockey,
hockey and more hockey. :-) And then yard work. I finally got out
to the garage in the afternoon. And took the snows off the wife's
car. :-)

Ok, I did finally get under the hood. Checked spark and timing with
my timing light, everything was good.

So, it's not running rough, a little loud, but not too much. Am I
not getting enough fuel from the fuel pump? Or is it the ZS?

I start mucking with the ZS. Pulling the air filter, just makes it
hard, since the return springs are now dangling.

The dashpot is dry of oil, fix that, no help. I find that if I block 1/3
to 1/2 of the throat, that I can rev to 5000. Damn, air leak somewhere.

Then the valve cover is making a lot of noise. Much more than 15 minutes
before.

Pull the cover. Valve 2 tappet has come loose. Ah ha! I start by just
re-adjusting it, and then, well, I better do the exhaust for cylinder 1
too. And then, well, it only takes 20-30 minutes. I adjust all the
valves. Make sure they're tightened down this year.

And we work again.  Had a nice cruise last night and a good drive in
this morning.

During the test drive last night, the tach dropped to zero and the brake
light went out. Then it came back. Love those gremlins.

I do need to work on the hand brake cable. And I guess I'll bleed the
brakes again to reset the pressure sensor. But that will wait until I
order a new clutch hose. I replaced the brake hoses last year, and
should have done the clutch, just for peace of mind.

Of course, the last four days were the nicest of the spring so far.
Today, is great out. A lunch time drive is probably in order.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155