Re: Carpet set recommendations

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carpet set recommendations
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:39:47 -0400
IMO, it all depends on your personal feelings about dealing with the carpet.
The rear wheel boxes and the tunnel take a fair amount of stretching and
fiddling to fit properly.  It is doable.  The molded ones will more or less
drop into place.  The one thing that you have going for you in the nonmolded
sets is that upholstery glues contain the solvent that most carpet kits use
to bond the carpet together.  This doesn't dissolve the carpet backing but
it will soften it up so that you can stretch the carpet to fit.

If I were faced with installing a carpet set today, I think it would
completely come down to money.  If I had it, I would probably go with the
molded, but more then likely, I wouldn't have the money so I'd fit them
myself.  I used a moss deluxe kit and was very pleased.

The only other major factor is that the wheelbox carpets require trimming
and once you cut it you can't go back so you need to be careful to fit it
exactly how you want it before you start trimming.  If you are a reasonably
detail oriented person you should be able to get it in well.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8
85 Dodge Ram