Re: Center console help

To: rowman22001@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Center console help
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:27:59 -0700 (PDT)
Paul M. SEZ -
> I am just getting ready to dig in to the restoration
> of the interior of my 1971 MGB.  Everything is pretty
> much in place.  I've decided to keep the "Abingdon
> Pillow" (call me crazy, but the aesthetics have grown
> on me somewhat...) I have the carpets, the upholstery,
> all the panels...  I'm ready to go.

You're not crazy.  I had a 1968 MGB and I liked the look.
The earlier dash always looked too "50s" to me, for what
is on the outside a very 60s-looking car.  In fact I'd
go so far as to say I think the early dash was ugly.
Frankly, I just don't see what it is that people object to
in the "pillow" design.  By the early 60s, not many cars had
"piece of sheet metal punched full of holes" dash boards and
the the original dash design just looks jarringly anacronistic
with the smooth modern lines of the MGB.  And I *really* don't
understand cutting up a car to put a "retro" dash in.  I say,
kudos to you for not butchering the interior of your car.

Some may choose to "reinterpret" their interior if they want, but
it's small consolation to tell themselves "It may not be original,
but at least it reduces the value."   :-)

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do