RE: Center console help

To: "'Paul M.'" <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Center console help
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:56:09 -0700
Paul:

I converted my 1970 to the later 1973 spec. dash with glovebox and center
console many years ago.  At the time it seemed the thing to do, but I'm not
recomending it to anyone.  The addition of a glovebox, just ends up being a
place to accumulate stuff that rattles, and IMHO it is not big enough to
justify the conversion.

The original center console hit my thigh, and was uncomfortable on long
trips.

Now before I get yelled at by owners of later cars, I am listing the down
sides, not the pluses.  My 1973 MGB is staying stock, and I got it
specifically because of the face level vents, somthing that is a bonus on a
GT.  I'll deal with the center console, by adding a removable pad.

Since the arguments are coming fast and furious about metal dash vs pillow
dash.  I drive a 1965 MGB and can state that the early dash layout left a
lot to be desired.  Personally I believe the 1977-80 Dash is the most
ergometric for daily driving, but each dash has it's pluses and minuses.

As noted the center console you saw was made by Amco, it is long out of
production but luckily used ones are available from time to time.  Make sure
you check out the padded arm rest, latch and hinge areas because these are
unique and tend to fail.

Personally I'm not a fan, as I don't like the way the console meets up with
the stock vertical unit, but I did like the fact you could install
additional guages.

As an alternative, there is a nicely made US manufactured center arm rest
assembly, which uses the stock '73-80 armrest pad and a reinforced latch.
This gives you the armrest, and cupholder, but does not have any place for
guages.  Then again, it allows you to keep the nice carpeted hump around the
shifter.  Sorry if this seems like a marketing gig, but I just like the
product and think it deserves a recomendation.  It's made by the same guy
that makes the MGB battery box liners, so can be sourced from the usual
suspects.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29731

hope this helps

Kelvin.