Re: Cheap Tools

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:53:11 -0400
Chris Thompson wrote:

> If I go and buy a Husky set am I buying a set that's got quality
> enough to spare?

Yes.  I bought a large Husky mechanic's tool set a few years ago and have
found it to serve all my basic needs.  The stuff has taken quite a bit of
abuse and held up well.  Although, at the moment, I am more of a fan of
Lowes than Home Depot... so a few Kobalt (Lowes brand) tools have found
their way into my tool boxes.  The Kobalt stuff is a bit better than the
Husky stuff, at least in the quality of the finish... I can not tell a
difference between the ratcheting mechanisms for instance on their 3/8
ratchet wrenches.  I can tell the difference with my Facom 3/8 ratchet, so
smooth!!!!!!!!!!

I will second what everyone has said about GearWrenches, what a great tool.
I bought a set about 7 months ago and it has pretty much taken over as my
general purpose fastener remover/tightener.  Beams are well polished and
thin, so the weight and balance in your hand is very nice.  The ratcheting
mechanism is smooth and strong.

I still have quite a few cheap tools.  I am not going to pay name brand for
sacrificial tools like punch sets.  My set of stubby wrenches was $7.99 and
made in Taiwan but they are better than the Snap-On stubby wrenches I have
used in the past.  The Taiwan ones just seem to a tighter fit on the open
end of the wrench.  When you're using the little wrenches, it is nice to
have the tight fit, so it doesn't slip off the nut in an area that is
already space confined.

Kai