Re: Cheap Tools

To: David Breneman <idcb@airborne.com>
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:52:20 -0700
On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:58:36PM -0700, David Breneman wrote:

> brand that many people hadn't heard of.  TSP also sold Proto hand
> tools, but they were a lot more expensive.  Most of that cost
> seemed to be reflected in a higher degree of finish (ie, more
> polished as opposed to as-cast surfaces) but the parts of the
> tool that did the job were comparable.  Is it worth $8 more to
> get a 1/2" combination wrench with a polished handle?

Jewelry.

Have you ever noticed that if you tell someone that you spent $200 on
a set of wrenches, they look at you like you've stripped your
gears. But if you tell them that you spent $200 on jewelry, then it's
just fine. twenty years ago, when I started collecting Snap-on tools,
I started calling them jewelry. They're pretty, they're expensive,
they make me feel good, and I could probably get by with tools that
didn't have that nice deep chrome finish.

The highly polished chrome finish does have one major practical
advantage though, it's a lot easier to clean.

  Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.