Re: Cheap Tools

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:23:38 -0600
At 05:56 AM 6/5/2003 -0400, Chris Thompson wrote:

>But, am I crazy here? When are cheap tools OK? I could have bought ten of
>these angle grinders and tossed them when they broke before I spent as much
>as the grinder at HD.

I told my son that you can never go wrong buying tools. Kind of a generic
statement but I've bought name brand and I've bought cheap. A few of the
cheap ones broke or bent after limited use, but very few of them  at that.
I still have most of my original tools I bought in my college days back in
the 70s including a K-mart branded set of wrenches. My most expensive tool
back then was a Craftsman 1/2" socket wrench (about 12" long) which is
still my tool of choice to remove lugnuts.

So I think cheap tools are fine if the quality does not look cheap and its
for limited use (or if you have kids that use tools or will use tools). But
for long term use or heavy duty use, spend the extra dollars to get a tool
that lasts.

David Councill
72 B
67 BGT