Re: Cheap Tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 04:45:38 -0400
Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com (Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com) wrote:
> mechanics tool makers in the world and they make many brands.  Stanley
> makes Stanley brand (of course), Husky (Home Depot), MAC tools, and Proto

Greg, what you're not saying, though is whether these are the same tools
altogether. Does Stanley make the same ratchet and sell it under their own
brand at one price, Husky at a cheaper price, and MAC at a higher price? Or
does it even matter? Your discussion about metallurgy below is fascinating.
If I go and buy a Husky set am I buying a set that's got quality enough to
spare?

>  But people still talk about Sears and their warranty like it is rare.
> Craftsman is simply a marketing brand.  Hammers made by one company, saws
> by another, wrenches by another, etc.  If another manufacturer convinces

This is true on the woodworking side of things as well, though they hide it
much less. The Craftsman portable table saw is a Ryobi 3000/3100 with a
different set of stickers. Their shop vacuums are, or were, barely rebadged
ShopVac brand. I have the OEM versions of both of these and love them,
because I got both at Home Depot cheaper than what Sears was selling them
for.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster