Re: Two questions newbie MGB owner

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: Two questions newbie MGB owner
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:35:30 -0400
Paul,
 There may be some truth to that story of disintegrating fans.
  If the web of the fan is mounted behind the blades (toward engine, not
toward radiator) any flexing the fan does as it screws itself forward in
the airstream pulls the blade away from its reinforcement.  I have heard
from long-time owners that TD fans have come apart when the blades were
installed backwards, though I haven't seen it myself.
  That said, it is difficult for me to understand how something with such
an inefficient airfoil could develop enough pull to cause itself harm.
But I do know that the blades are installed in the same manner as was
done at Abingdon.
Bob