Re: Hmmmmmm,whats this?

To: Goracef1@cs.com
Subject: Re: Hmmmmmm,whats this?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:29:17 -0400
Brian,
  It's a vacuum hose.   While it's not essential, it's still important.
If it's not present, you still have to block off the carb ports.
  Take it with you to auto parts store and get a piece of rubber vacuum
hose  that's long enough to extend the tube as necessary.  They will fit
a hose to make a snug fit, then you bring it home, route the hose to your
liking and snip off the excess.
  The distributor advances and retards the spark for best engine
operation at different speeds and loads.  The centrifugal weights work on
speed and this vacuum line to the carbs handles the load component.
Running at 50 mph at a steady speed on a flat road, the ignition is quite
advanced in order to give economical cruising.  When you come to a grade,
the engine works harder, so the timing is adjusted to better meet its
needs.  That's what this hose is doing.

Bob