Re: Why no MGs?

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Why no MGs?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Root <proot@iaces.com> wrote:
>> The big problem, apart from the excessive weight of
> the 318ti is/was
> that American drivers are too lazy to drive a car.
> The expect instant
> gratification and are completely unwilling to take
> any responsibility.

I don't know...  BMW buyers seemed perfectly happy
poking around in their 318i sedans!  It was just the
ti that failed, not the engine package.  That four
sold pretty well here throughout it's multi-decade
long history.

I think the real reason the ti never caught on is that
American buyers just don't like premium hatchbacks.
Benz is facing a similar problem with it's C-Coupe
right now.  We don't like soccer, we don't like
Formula One racing, we don't like the WRC, and we
don't like spending $25k on a hatchback.  (We're
infuriatingly close-minded on all counts).
Less-pricey hatchbacks are fine, but once the price
gets to a certain level, no one will touch it.
Hatchbacks in general have a "cheap" association here
which - much like calling world soccer "boring"
because scoring is somewhat less frequent - is sad and
totally undeserved.

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project