Re: Why no MGs?

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: Why no MGs?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:40:10 -0700 (PDT)
> But the WRX, EVO and S2000 are very expensive. And
> that's
> before the gouging the dealers are getting.

Hmmmm...  I don't know about that.  What's expensive
anymore?  The SVT Focus is around $20k.  The SRT-4 is
around $22k.  The WRX and EVO start in the mid-20's
and go up to the low 30's.  Those prices, like it or
not, are not that expensive any more.  Check out what
a nicely-equipped Accord will set you back these days,
or a midrange minivan, or a decent SUV.  All these
vehicles are in the mid twenties to low 30's, and as a
result, the prices for modern performance alternatives
seems every bit as reasonable as the prices for our
old MGs must have seemed compared to the competitors
of the day.  I mean, let's be realistic - the days of
the cool $14k car are over (potential Razor
notwithstanding, but their price prediction seems
unreasonably low to me, even if it makes it into
production).  And dealer gouging?  Build more cars,
generate more competition in the marketplace, and the
gouging goes away.

> I think you're right here. Bring the ZS in full boy
> racer
> mode, and you have something that the 'fast and
> furious'
> crowd might be interested in. That, whatever old
> curmudgeons
> want to argue against, is where the future of
> motorsports
> is.

Couldn't agree more.  Modern hot rodders, modern car
enthusiasts, and they put their money where their
mouths are.  And I honestly don't beleive a car like
the WRX or SRT-4 would exist over here if it wasn't
for the sport compact market.

> Sports sedans of the 90s to today are much better in
> performance, handling and convenence than our old
> sports
> cars.

I don't know about this.  There has been "progress" in
a sense, but regression in another sense.  Are they
really "better"?  I read an article in Grassroots
Motorsports some months back where a new Honda Odessey
minivan spanked a Porsche 356 and Jaguar XKE around an
autocross course.  Modern tire technology is primarily
responsible, but still.  So cars are quicker and
quieter and safer and heavier and more luxurious, but
also (in my opinion) more homogenous and dull.
Everything sorta looks the same to me and sounds the
same and everything sorta has the same crap on it.
There are a million different bland 2.0L fours running
around, a million different 3.8L sixes... nothing with
any passion.  Occasionally a car like the BMW M-Coupe
will come along and shake things up a bit, but not
often (another dismal sales failure, I note...)

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project
Huntersville, NC  USA