RE: Why no MGs?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Why no MGs?
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:18:08 -0500
> I don't know if that is true regarding the saloons and
> estates. Presumably
> they meet current EEC standards, which I would imagine are
> very close to US
> standards at this time (unless they adopted the lowest common

Possibly.  But even if those standards are comparable, it would be very
unbureaucratic for a US agency to simply accept the certification of
another country.  So even if the car has everything needed, there's
still the actual certification process to go through.  My understanding
is that it's not a simple or cheap process.  In fact, if you recall when
the Nissan Altima was first sold, it still had 'Stanza' on it in small
letters, as that was still the official model name.  While they
obviously still had to submit the car for crash-testing, etc., they
apparently didn't have to do as much as if they were certifying an
entirely new model.