Re: Mileage

Subject: Re: Mileage
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:44:18 -0700
On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 10:04  AM, Max Heim wrote:

> Hmm, top-up, I would expect at least that kind of mileage from a B
> with OD.
> Not that anyone is likely to cruise one at much over 80 -- too
> noisy/drafty/shakey (pick one or more). Where traffic permits, I
> frequently
> cruise at 75 top-down, and I'm sure I'm getting close to 25mpg. And
> that's
> wimpy US gallons!

In the 2300 miles I've driven since July 24th, I've averaged 24 MPG
(US).  Given the Eastern wa.us weather, most of this is top-down.

My mileage is based on pretty crude mechanisms (fill the tank, read the
odometer), but I have seen some trends:

My car does badly in Pullman, I average about 17 mpg in town.  Our
hills, and the fact that I do enjoy using the loud pedal don't help,
especially when the trip is short enough the car doesn't fully warm up.

On the highway, I get around 27 mpg, sometimes as high as 32 at 65-80
miles/hour.  I have seen as high as 32 a couple times, but it isn't
common.

When the car runs too hot (215-240 F), the mileage is better.  This
could be because higher heat is more efficient, or (more likely)
because I slow down to prevent temps from going up further.

I did not see any significant differences when I converted from the ZS
to the twin HIF4 carbs in 2001.  If anything, my mileage has gotten
better, due to the fact that my air filters are not clogging every
10000 miles.

--
Aaron Whiteman http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/MG/
Red (to be green come spring) '75 B, HIF carbs.