Re: ZS to HIF

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: ZS to HIF
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 07:54:25 -0500
MonteMorris wrote:

> Since the ZS is running very rich and getting 12 MPG, I'm getting ready to
> trade the ZS carb in the 79B (desmogged) for HIF's out of a 74B parts car. I
> have the carbs, manifold, heat shield, and exhaust system. I also have the
> round Accessory foam air cleaners, Moss part # 223-230, that several listers
> are using.
> But, of course I have a few questions before I start tackling it:
> 1. On the 79 there is a tube that goes from the front of the manifold to the
> brakes. What do I do with this on the 74 manifold?

There are plenty of holes in the manifold to screw the connector into.
Hook it up.

> 2. Do I hook up the anti-run on valve?

Yes.

> 3. How do I hook up a manual choke: Where have others put the knob on the
> dash? I have a rectangular blanking plate on the left side of the dash just
> above the hazard switch and one on the right side just above the fan switch.
> I believe someone said put the choke know in place of the dash reostat, but
> mine works. If I use one of the blanking plates, how do I accomplish this?

Mine's in the rheostat's place. The rheostat is in the blanking plate.
I made a metal plate (sounds impressive doesn't it. A peice of metal
with a hole cut in it) for behind the dash to hold the rheostat firmly
in place.

> 4. Here in NE Missouri it gets COLD, should/could I hook up the carb
> induction heater from the ZS to the HIF's?

No.

> 5. I've seen the Chicagoland ZS to HS carb swap pictures, but the HIF
> manifold and plumbing are different; does anyone have a step-by-step
> procedure for this?

I just found a zip file on my home computer that has some pictures of my
conversion. I think, it does anyway. I'll look.

However, it's pretty much the same, just a few tubes go in different
directions.

> 6. In the middle of the HIF manifold off the parts car is a small tube bent
> at 90 degrees and is plugged off. Where did this go, and do I need to hook
> it up again?

This is for the gulp valve going to the air pump. So as you've said you
de-smogged, no, you don't need it. I tapped that hole and put a proper
bolt in it. Mostly for looks, as John Twist's manuals suggest doing.

> 7. Will I need to fabricate anything?

I don't think so, since you had a complete setup from your parts car.

> Paul Root has given me some advise and I believe that Mike Janacek said he
> has done the conversion, but anyone else please feel free to chime in or
> point me to a website.

Oh, was I supposed to shut up now? :-)

I'll look through my zip file to see if anything is useful.

Paul.

--
    ______
   /    _ \   Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com>