ZS to HIF

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ZS to HIF
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:58:52 -0500
I got the HIF's mostly all connected and plumbed tonight, but of course have
more questions:-):
(HIF's and all related hardware off  a 74 parts car. They are going onto a
desmogged 79B)

1. the 74's instruction plate by the radiator says: time to 11 degrees BTDC
at 1500 RPM and gap plugs at .025. The 79 is timed about 18-20 degrees BTDC,
.035 plug gaps, and has a points dizzy in it. What settings should I try now
and should I use the dizzy out of the parts car, or keep the one that's in
the 79 (45D, I believe).
2. I rerouted the heater hose (with metal tube) downward between the
manifold and the heat shield. Will this cause any problems, or should I put
it back up by the valve cover?
3. On the Chicagoland MG site,  I read to use the old alloy back plates off
the 74's air cleaners to put inside the oval foam air cleaners (#223-220,
pp. 7) so you can use the Unisyn easily without removing the air cleaners. I
can see you must bore out the mounting holes on the back plate so the bolt
heads will be flush, but what type of mounting bolt (head) would you use?
Thanks,
Monte
          79B, Carmine
          67B, BRG