RE: Vintage License Plates [cameras OT]

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vintage License Plates [cameras OT]
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:35:52 -0700
Max, they aren't just 'red light running cameras'.  Around here most are
speed traps.  A van, equipped with a radar, a camera and a computer are
parked along side the road.  The radar detects a speeding car, the camera
takes a picture the computer prints the ticket with your picture on it (yes,
your face and license plate are both displayed)  You receive it in the mail.
If you mail in the money without going to court they automatically reduce
the infraction.  The equipment is owned and operated by a private company,
that company splits the revenue with the city.

I've heard, if the operation is set up in the 'proper' location, they can
write hundreds of tickets a day.  And guess what, all that without a
policeman any where near the equipment.

It's not crime prevention, or public safety; it is a unique form of
taxation.

If they wanted you to be safe and slow down they would move the van and park
a marked police car there instead.

Larry Hoy