Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:56:07 -0600
I've been driving B's daily for about fifteen years and I've got two cents
on this but they mostly agree with the others.

My '74 maroon was garbage when bought. After replacing all the springs,
kingpins, bushes (to V8), shocks (Armstrongs with uprated front valves
only), a new steering rack with rod ends and an uprated (I think it was to
3/4") front sway bar, I have to say it was still the best handling of all
three cars. I've got a set of Spax on the rear of the redcar now and I
really don't find much difference at all between the ride of the Spax and
the ride of a set of good Armstrongs. I would certainly think that more
good could be had by concentrating on the front end of the car, anyway.

I will be rebuilding the redcar eventually and when I do, the only choice
I'll probably have to make on the suspension is whether to go to front
coil-overs. Even then, total costs considered, it'll have to be an
impressive difference for me to prefer them over NEW uprated Armstrongs all
around.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
VP - Tennsessee Spokes Sports Car Club
schnittke@mindspring.com
'67 B (my daily driver)
'71 XJ6 Series I (Jeanette's daily driver)
dead '69 B