Re: Why nylock nuts?

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, BarrMark262@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Why nylock nuts?
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:03:10 US/Mountain
For the best info on locking systems, refer to the book:

Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing by Carroll Smith.

Generally he indicates that there are few effective locking mechanisms.
I'm at work and don't have the book handy, but if memory serves me
correctly nylock nuts are not really considered to do much.

I use nylock nuts on my porsche's valve covers everytime I change the oil
and adjust the valves - there aren't many replacements even though they
aren't the best system.  This makes for 34 new nuts and washers every 6000
miles - at least they come in a package that is fairly cheap.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA
'67 MGB
Misc others